2016 is a momentous year in American history. I’m talking about the presidential election. For months and months and months leading up to November 8th, there was a growing awareness of the importance, and in some ways the divisiveness, of this election. Now, I’m not trying to get political here. Only leading up to this recipe for three layer meaty lasagna. As a consummate entertainer, I love any reason to celebrate and invite friends over for dinner. So, what better than election returns! This recipe regardless of your political persuasion is a hit and brings you all together breaking bread and thanking the Lord for living in the United States of America.
Made with no cook pasta, it’s really easy to put together once you have your meaty sauce. That’s a separate recipe unless you want to throw something quickly together. Here’s a quick idea. Brown some beef and pork, add Italian seasoning and then adding in some jarred marinara sauce. It’s a way to pinch hit a meaty sauce and still be able to make this luscious lasagna. The three layers are each distinct and can stand on their own with pasta. But, in combination and baked together, it’s heavenly!
All you need with this lasagna is a salad. Now, not just any salad. Here are a few I’d recommend.
- Preheat oven to 350
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 18 pieces oven ready lasagna, I used Pastifico G. Di Martino brand. Optional brands
- 1 ½ cups ricotta
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese, 4% small curd
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper, divided
- 5-6 small tomatoes, cut into 3-4 slices each
- 16 ounces fresh mozzarella, torn into bite size pieces
- 2 tsp. Italian dried seasoning mixture
- 8 cups Bolognese sauce, recipe 1 recipe 2
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
- Layer 1: Put the olive oil in the pan and coat the bottom and sides. Add six pieces of lasagna. In a medium size mixing bowl, combine the ricotta, cottage cheese, basil, one half teaspoons of salt and pepper. Mix and blend. Drop in dollops on to the lasagna pieces and gently spread out.
- Layer 2: Add six pieces of lasagna atop layer one. Cover with the tomatoes and the remaining salt and pepper. Put the mozzarella pieces on top the tomatoes.
- Layer 3: Add six pieces of lasagna atop the tomatoes/mozzarella. Sprinkle with the Italian seasoning mixture. Top with the Bolognese sauce. Spread out over the lasagna. Top with the parmesan cheese.
- Use double foil and tightly cover the pan extremely well. Bake in a preheated 350 oven about 50 to 60 minutes. Turn off heat and let the pan stay in the oven another 30 minutes. Remove and serve.
This lasagna freezes well. Cut into serving pieces. Wrap tightly and securely and freeze. Keeps about a month.