This bleu cheese coleslaw is my ‘boho’ version of Southern coleslaw~~yes, it’s quite different, but it’s a really inviting palate experience. I mean imagine topping your BBQ sandwich with this coleslaw~~OMG, I’m talking bursts of unexpected pleasures!
I like to ramp up the nutritional value of this coleslaw with the addition of the watercress. You could also add some walnuts (or salted pistachios) and dried cranberries for some extra value. Letting this coleslaw hang out in the refrigerator for a while before serving will make it much better. Get ready for crunch, tangy blasts of bleu and creamy coleslaw like you’ve never tasted!
- 1 (16 oz.) bag tri-colored coleslaw
- 4 oz. crumbled bleu cheese (use a good brand like Maytag) + more for garnish
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup (packed) watercress leaves (you can substitute another green like arugula, European greens)
- 3 Tbl. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Greek plain yogurt
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1 Tbl. Fine Herb blend (parsley, chives, chervil, tarragon. You could substitute a combination of your own liking, maybe some dried mint, parsley, chives, tarragon...get creative!)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coleslaw, bleu cheese crumbles, celery and watercress leaves. Toss and blend with your hands.
- In a small mixing bowl,, combine the lemon juice, mayonnaise, yogurt, salt, pepper. fine herb blend and blend well. Pour on the coleslaw mixture and toss and blend. Optional: Add the cranberries.
- Refrigerate for about an hour before serving.