Sometimes you want something utterly chocolatee. Bizarrely decadent. Insanely gooey, chewy, crunchy. Something that makes you happy. Something that once you have it, you’ve satisfied that urge. That desire. That need. In the case of desserts and sweets, well, the molten lava brownie s’mores is your answer to all these ridiculous unnecessary needs!
I wanted to create an easy way to make these molten lava brownie s’mores. And, the most logical way? Well, to use a brownie mix. Yep, a boxed brownie mix. For this ingredient, I went to my good friend, Betty. Betty Crocker that is. This brownie mix pouch is perfect for the recipe. But, hey, if you have something else, something higher end, yes, like Ghiradelli, then go for it!
From that simple mix, you build by adding layers of immense flavors and textures. I’m talkin’ about graham crackers. Mini marshmallows. Shredded coconut. And, whole almonds. Then more graham crackers! Yes, you’ll bake this in the oven and you’ll wonder how the molten center happens. It’s magic. It’s something that defies understanding. Go ahead bask in the swirling of this fantasy in your head!
When you cut into the ‘brownie’ after it’s cooled just a little, that oozing will cascade out like hot thick lava. Sweet. Rich. Fattening. And, when these brownies cool, the lava cools, too. Just like a real volcano! It becomes more solid, like a candy. I think that’s because as it bakes, the marshmallows naturally melt and ooze into the first layer of batter. Thereby ‘candifying’ it. Is that a word? No? Well, let’s play like it is!
These molten lava brownie s’mores are scrumptious the next day. Perfect for cutting into smaller serving pieces. Yep, grabbing and running on the go! Your jolt of chocolate. Your marriage of childhood favorites like s’mores, brownies and almond joy candy bars! Each bite you take is sure to transport you back to the future to carefree happy times as a kid! Now, that’s an added perk that’s sure to bring joy! xoxox ~ally
- Preheat oven to 350
- 9 graham crackers, divided
- 1 (10.25 oz) fudge brownie mix
- ½ cup oil
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup mini marshmallows
- 1 cup coconut, sweetened
- 1 ½ cups almonds, whole
- Coat the inside of the pan with cooking spray. Take a piece of parchment paper, 8” wide, and put in letting it lap over the sides.
- Put on layer of graham crackers down using 4 ½ crackers.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the brownie mix, oil, egg and cream. Blend well with a mixer a couple of minutes. Put half of this batter on the graham crackers. Sprinkle on the marshmallows, coconut and almonds.
- Add another layer (4 ½) of graham crackers. Pour the remaining batter on the top letting it seep around the sides.
- Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 25 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack.
- Use the overlapping parchment paper to remove from the pan. Slice and serve!
When these s'mores cool, the 'lava' becomes firm. It's soooooooooo good when sliced. More like a 'candy' bar!
You can warm up slices and soften the hardened 'lava'.