Seems there’s a ‘season’ for everything! Wedding season. Holiday season. Tis the season to be jolly! Football season. Basketball season. And, yes, there’s in my world, and probably many others’, ‘soup season’! Soup season usually kicks off when the days start getting shorter and the temperatures start cooling. Soups are the ultimate comfort food. And, this coconut curry orange blossom chicken soup is right there as ultra warming and comforting and absolutely healing for the soul!
Made with fresh ingredients, this recipe is super simple. Yes, you don’t have to have any special cooking skills to pull this off. A food processor (or blender) and the stove do the rest of the work. And, this recipe makes a lot. So be prepared to freeze some, just in case you see that you won’t eat it all in a few days. Another great thing about this soup is that it will keep very well in your refrigerator for several days, and it gets tastier.
You do have some other options with this recipe. For instance, if you want a ‘kick’ to it, go ahead and add some red chili flakes or any other kind of hot sauce. And, the greens. Well, it’s your choice. My neighbor who has a winter garden brought me the most amazing fresh young tender collards, and that’s why I chose collards for the recipe. If he’d brought me fresh tender baby kale, it would have been that. If you’re not familiar with orange blossom extract (or just orange extract), be sure to get the real stuff, not the artificial. It just gives a hint of sweet citrus, and it’s oh so refreshing and good. Then the fresh ginger. Well, you know what ginger does for you, right? Oh, you don’t. Well, here you go, just read on after you make the soup! Happy slurping my sweet luvs! xoxo ~ally
- 2 carrots, cut into 3-4 pieces
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 3-4 pieces
- ½ sweet onion, cut into 3 pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 to 2 ½ lbs. chicken, bone in, skin on
- 32 oz. chicken stock + 4 cups water to rinse out box/cans
- 1 Tbl. (heaping) fresh ginger, minced + more for garnish
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- 1 Tbl. orange blossom water (extract)
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk
- 6 cups greens, chopped (your choice, I used collards.)
- Put the carrots, celery, onion, garlic, and olive oil in a food processor and pulse into a ground mixture. In a large stock pot over medium high heat, put the carrot/etc. mixture. Sauté about 3-5 minutes mixing so as not to burn.
- Add the chicken, chicken stock, water, ginger, salt, pepper, curry powder, and orange blossom water. Blend. Cover. Cook chicken (medium high to medium) for about 60-75 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Using tongs, remove chicken to a large plate. Add the coconut cream to the hot broth and blend. Reduce heat to simmer.
- When the chicken is cooled pull off meat completely cleaning the bones. Add back to the broth. Turn heat to medium and cook about 15 minutes. When about ready to serve, add the greens, and let them cook about 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with a sliver of fresh ginger and orange slice (optional).
Garnish with a thin slice of orange...ohhhhh, so pretty!
Want more protein? Add a couple of cans of cannellini beans (or cook them from scratch!) to your soup!