Vegetables and salads in their most natural form tend to give us more health benefits, nutrients and value. So, loading up your table with a variety of salads can be a great way to eat especially if you stretch your idea of a salad from what you get in a restaurant with your meal or a typical salad bar layout. I’m talking about putting together some different ideas on salads that hit on all cylinders with flavors, tastes, and textures. Salads that are bursting with vibrant colors! I could go on and on, but for now, take a look at this cabbage chard apple pineapple salad.
Most folks know they love cabbage in coleslaw, but beyond that would you think of cabbage as a main salad. Yes, raw cabbage. When you slice it thin and combine other ingredients like the apples and dried pineapples in this recipe, you’re not gonna realize you’re even eating cabbage. And, think beyond what you see here with what I’ve created. If you want to use purple cabbage, oh, yay, do it! If you want to throw in a hint of bitter with radicchio then, yes, do it. The counter balances are here in this salad, salty pistachios, a nutty crunch, sweet apples and pineapples, then the mellow tender chard.
Now I don’t like to overwhelm these gorgeee vegetables with loading up on a heavy creamy dressing, so I like to give my salads splashes of citruseeee vinaigrette combinations. Next time, I make this salad, I’m going to add some crumbled goat cheese. Hummmm, or maybe just a hint of bleu. The best thing to do is experiment. Go beyond what you think a salad is, yes, typically lettuce, tomatoes, onions and maybe cucumbers, and dressing, and live on the wild and crazy side of life! xoxox ~ally
- Serves: 6+
- 3 cups apples, skin on, crispy, cut into bite size pieces
- 3 cups rainbow chard, sliced with some stems, packed
- 3 cup cabbage, packed, sliced
- ½ cup dried pineapple, chopped into smaller pieces
- ½ cup red onions, sliced thinly into about 1” pieces
- 2 Tbl. fresh lemon thyme leaves
- ¼ cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup parmesan regianno, finely shredded
- 2 Tbl. rice vinegar
- 2 medium lemons, juice and zest, divided
- 1 ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1 ½ tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1/2 cup salted pistachios
- Put the apple bites in a medium bowl and toss in one half of the lemon juice and zest. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chard, cabbage, dried pineapples, onions, thyme, and basil. Toss and blend. Add the apples. Toss and blend.
- In a small bowl, whisk together well the olive oil, vinegar, remaining lemon juice/zest, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle over the salad mixture. Toss and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to serve then top with the salted pistachios.