Sometimes I get lazy and just buy things at the market that I know perfectly well I can create and make even better at home. Now it’s a known fact that I love olives. And, olives adorn lots of dishes that I make. Just chalk it up to the ethnic in me!
The deli olive bar is full of options. I’ll pick and choose creating my own. Usually it takes two or three of those half pint plastic containers to put together all the items that will excite my tastebuds. When I get to the check out, I take a big gulp! At about $8.99 per pound those stinkin’ littl’ olives, oil, and all that I’ve chosen adds up. So, for about half the price and absolutely no time at all I can customize my own deli olive mix, put in my glass jars and have it ready to go. While it really doesn’t need to be refrigerated, I do so. Then when I’m ready to serve, I just let it come to room temperature.
Next time, instead of heading to the olive bar at your grocery store, pick up a few ingredients that you love. Design yours to your liking. And, enjoy your ‘signature’ olive mix for your next mezze or tapas dining, for a topping on the plain humble bowl of pinto beans (or any other bean), as a side for your sandwich. It’s all about indulging YOU! xoxo ~peace & olives~ ally
- Makes: 4-5 cups
- 1 6 oz. can black olives, pitted, drained
- 1 6 oz. can green olives, pitted, drained
- 4 oz. pimentos, drained
- 3 oz. sun dried tomatoes
- 4 oz. mild pepper rings, drained
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 Tbl. chives, dried
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix and blend well.
- Refrigerate if not using immediately. When ready to serve, remove and let the olive oil come to room temperature.
- You can also microwave (about one cup at a time) on high for about 15-20 seconds.