Stave off the sniffles with this healthy easy shrimp corn soup! So delicious, you’ll want to double the recipe!
I work for companies to pay the bills at Ally’s Kitchen. One of these companies is Kettle and Fire. So, yes, when you order anything from them using my CODE (ALLYSKITCHEN), I receive a small commission. Everything I do with product promotion is my own creation and ideas. For more information, click here.
So many of you ask about my braising pan, that I use ALL THE TIME! Here’s the link to purchase from my Amazon Storefront. It’s an investment, but so worth it! I use mine all the time. It’s perfect for so many recipes! And, it’s beautiful, so I leave it out on my stove top. If you want a smaller version, click here! And, I also have some more budget friendly versions at my storefront, so let’s go shopping!
Soups with Shrimp
I love shrimp soups. And, here are two others that I’ve created that you’ll want to check out.
This coconut cumin shrimp soup has a creamy broth base. Yes, delicious unsweetened coconut milk adds immense flavor.
And, then we have this spicy coconut shrimp soup that’s always a hit on a chilly day!
And, if you’re thinking Asian, well then, my Vietnamese bokchoy shrimp soup is the bomb! Don’t be intimidated by the list of ingredients! It’s really easy!
Shrimp Soup Recipe
This shrimp soup recipe is easily done in well under 30 minutes! Soups are great for dinner. And, nothing better than seafood dinners!
And, you want to serve immediately. If you want to add toppings like sour cream, lime, croutons or other crunchies, believe me, that would be stupendous.
Shrimp Soup Mexican
Mexican shrimp soup has more of a tomato broth using canned tomatoes and/or tomato paste. And, it’s usually got carrots, celery, onions, jalapenos in it. Yes, super delicious.
But, I wanted a more pure shrimp soup where the stock broth is highlighted with the chicken and shrimp stock.
How to Make Shrimp Soup
This shrimp soup has just a few easy steps.
- Simmer the stock. Both chicken stock and the little bit of shrimp stock if you make it.
- Add the spices.
- Add the corn, diced peppers and green onions.
- Add the shrimp! And, this cooks in a flash, like about 5 to 7 minutes!
Shrimp Soup Ingredients
This shrimp soup has three key healthy ingredients. Besides the fresh shrimp, you’re adding these things:
- Nutritional yeast. And, if you need to learn why and more about it, well, here’s my quick video.
- Kettle and Fire Chicken Stock. Order here for a 20% discount. Use the code ALLYSKITCHEN at checkout. Stock up on it. Worth every penny because it’s the healthy sipping!
- Buy shell/tail on shrimp and boil the removed shells/tails in about one cup of water. Bring to a simmering boil for 8-10 minutes. Drain and use in soup as extra shrimp stock. Immense flavor! Discard or compost the cooked shells/tails.
Healthy Shrimp and Corn Soup
I’ve intentionally made this soup healthy.
It’s a great antidote to a scratchy throat, feeling a little run down and tired or thinking something like the flu or a cold is coming on.
Corn and Shrimp Chowder
Chowders are typically rich and hearty soups with chicken or seafood. More steps in preparing, but, nonetheless, super delicious. However, heavy on the calories because they usually have potatoes and creamy base. Yes, like heavy cream.
It’s easy to turn this soup into a creamy more chowder type soup with some simple steps:
- Add small diced potatoes to the stock and let them cook about 10 minutes.
- Make a slurry to thicken the stock. Use about one-half cup of water (or stock) and three tablespoons of a thickening agent like all-purpose flour, arrowroot or corn starch. Whisk well working out all the flecks. Slowly drizzle into the hot stock liquid. Stir and thicken.
- Add about one cup of heavy cream.
- 1 box (16.9 oz.) chicken stock, Kettle and Fire
- 1 cup shrimp broth, can substitute another cup of chicken stock
- 2 Tbl. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbl. Old Bay seasoning mixture
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 16 oz. corn kernels, previously frozen
- 1 cup peppers, multi-colored, diced
- 1/2 cup green onions, packed, with tops, sliced
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs. shrimp, deveined, large size
- Fresh flat parsley
- Red chili flakes, optional
- Over medium high heat in a large braising pan or pot, put the chicken and shrimp stock. Bring to a simmering boil. Add the nutritional yeast, Old Bay, salt and pepper. Blend well.
- Turn heat to medium. Add the corn, peppers and green onions. Cover and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp. Cover and cook for about 5-7 minutes or until tender, pink and done.
- Use scissors and snip in fresh flat parsley. Serve immediately!
You'll pack more flavor in this soup if you buy shell on shrimp and peel then cook/simmer the shells in about a cup of water. Discard or compost cooked shells/tails.
Frozen shrimp will work.