Meals in bowls always seem a little bit more comforting to me than on a plate. There’s just something about maybe the broth, the gravy, the au jus or whatever there is that you can sop up with crusty hot bread, cornbread, rolls. You get the idea! This rustic Italian chicken shitake mushroom pot is one of those kinds of dishes. it’s got all the trappings of a dish you’d serve plated, but put it in a bowl, and you’ll have an entirely different experience!
That’s what food’s about. The experience. And, sometimes it’s small things that you swap out, change, tweak and change that make an entirely new experience. For instance, say you’re having spaghetti and meatballs. You serve them inside at the dining room table. Yeah, good, but there’s something different about those same spaghetti and meatballs if you take them outdoors, throw a tablecloth on the table, light some candles, and dine al fresco as the sun is setting.
In the case of this recipe just swapping a plate for a shallow bowl creates a unique visual and palate sensation. The next time I do this recipe, I’m going to make garlic mashed potatoes and dollop a big scoop in the bowl, then cover it with the broth, chicken and mushrooms. And, if you want to throw in a few petite green peas, have at it! OMG, imagine the ecstasy!! xoxoxo ~ally
- Preheat oven to 350
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning mixture
- 3 lb. chicken, skin on, bone in thighs (4) and skinless boneless breasts (4)
- 5 Tbl. butter, salted
- 1 cup wine, chardonnay (can substitute apple juice)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 bouquet fresh thyme, tied in bundle
- 5 ounces shitake mushrooms, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, chili flakes, italian seasoning mixture. Toss and blend well. Rinse and pat dry the chicken pieces. Roll and coat in the flour mixture.
- In a heavy stock pot (Dutch oven) over medium high heat, melt the butter. Brown the chicken pieces on all sides (about 5-6 minutes of cooking). Reduce heat to medium. Move chicken to the side, stack up and deglaze the skillet with the wine. Scrape all those good flavorings that are sticking to the pot. Add the remaining flour mixture to the pot and blend well.
- Spread the chicken in the pot. Add the chicken stock, garlic cloves and thyme bundle. Cover tightly. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 45 minutes. Remove. Add the mushrooms, blend into the broth. Recover the pot and cook another 15 minutes.
- Ready to serve!