OK, I get it. Most people don’t think of salad for breakfast, but I’m telling you, it’s the hottest new Ally trend out there! I’ve been addin the green stuff to breakfast for decades. I mean it just makes sense to me to add nutritional value anyway I can to this first meal of the day.
This pancetta breakfast salad is really perfect for ANY meal be it a sit down dinner, a quick lunch, brunch, picnic, cookout. Whatever! Your choice of greens is certainly a personal preference. I’ve used finely chopped kale and tender pea shoots. I love the kale because it holds up well if you want to save any leftovers for the next day. Chards would be great, too, as they hold their happy lift a little longer than some greens that just wilt with time.
For the pancetta in this recipe, I go to the market’s meat counter and have them cut me pancetta from the large roll. Usually about 1/4″ to 1/2″ thick rounds. Then I dice into small pieces and fry. Again, like the type of green you use, this Italian bacon holds it’s shape better than regular bacon that while great usually crumbles. I like seeing the little golden brown diced pancetta in my salad. As for taste, you’re gonna get about the same thing with bacon. But, try to make it thick cut bacon.
Here’s a wonderful lemon pastry puff to serve for breakfast, too. You don’t want to miss this one. It’s so easy and makes quite a statement! xoxo ~ally
- 1 lb. thick cut pancetta, deli cut, two to three slice(s), large dice
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided
- 3 cups white & yellow corn, previously frozen
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 10 mini cucumbers, washed and medium dice, skin on
- 6 green onions, thin slice with some of the green tops
- 6-8 cups green pea shoots, packed, if you can’t find green pea shoots use a small delicate similar type green (kale, arugula or mixture), roughly chopped
- 1 large lemon, juice and zest
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- Put two tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add the pancetta and sear about 3-5 minutes. Remove the pancetta with a slotted spatula to a plate.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil, corn and cumin. Pan sear for about three to five minutes. Reduce heat to low. Return pancetta to skillet and blend. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl, add the sliced green onions and pea shoots. Toss and blend. Add the pancetta/corn mixture and toss and blend.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, juice and zest of one lemon, salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Pour on the salad bowl mixture and give it a quick toss.
- Serve immediately.
You can substitute your favorite greens into this salad.
Greens that work well: baby kale, baby arugula, European greens, baby spinach, baby bokchoy. Or do a combo of greens!
©ally’s kitchen intellectual property