You can see from the ingredients list that this lemon mint cake pie is super simple to create and bake. The freshness of the lemons and mint add to the lip smackin’ good flavors that burst with each bite. And, the lemon drizzle is just icing on the cake.
I love using baking dishes in different ways. So with this cake, I decided it was proper to use the metal vintage pie pan. I put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom. Just cut out a round circle about the diameter of the pan. You don’t have to. I just wanted to make sure I could remove the slices easily. Or if I wanted to remove the whole cake from the pie pan, it’d be a tad bit easier. I didn’t do that as you can see. It was just too darn cute in the pan!
This lemon mint cake pie is perfect served just by itself. Or, it becomes even more lush and fragrant with things like fresh berries, ice cream, lemon Greek yogurt, maybe a lemon infused sour cream dollop. Another thing I like about this cake is that it gets better on day two. Cover or refrigerate. It stays pretty moist. Slice you a piece of this ‘pie’. Pick it up with your hands. No utensils needed! xoxo ~ally
- Preheat oven to 325
- 8 Tbl. Butter, salted, room temperature & soft
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ lemons, juice & zest, divided
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbl. + 1 tsp. fresh mint, chopped finely
- 1 ¼ cups flour, all purpose
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbl. powdered sugar
- LEMON DRIZZLE:
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 Tbl. Lemon juice
- Fresh Lemon Zest (optional for garnish)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter and sugar. Blend with a hand mixer for two minutes. Reserve two tablespoons of lemon juice for the drizzle. Put the remaining lemon juice and zest in the bowl and blend in with the mixer.
- Add one egg, continue blending about 30 seconds with the mixer, then add the second egg mixing another 30 seconds with the hand mixer. Add two tablespoons of mint and blend in with a rubber spatula.
- Sift in ¼ cup of flour and the baking powder. Using the rubber spatula, blend well. Add the remaining flour, one-fourth sifted cup at a time, and blend in. The batter will be thick like icing.
- Put into a greased pie pan (about 9” diameter). Place this pie pan on a cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 325 oven about 17-19 minutes. Remove and let cool on a rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
- While the cake is baking, make the drizzle. Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and blend well working out any small lumps. The mixture should be the consistency of thick syrup.
- Drizzle on top the cooled cake. Top with lemon zest and the remaining fresh mint.
Serve with fresh berries!
A dollop of whipped cream would be fabulous.
Ice cream or frozen yogurt always makes this cake even tastier.