In this crazy world that most all of us live in, we want to eat well, eat nutritiously and have recipes that are simple and easy but recipes that deliver the pizazzz and wowzzzeeee that excite our palate. Well, that’s what this harissa chicken and vegetables is. It’s a recipe that’s so ridiculously simple that even a NON cook, someone who’s place is not in the kitchen will be able to do. Just gather the few ingredients and watch the magic unfold!
Now, I love love the spice mixture harissa. It’s a North African mixture and is very popular in the Middle East. Kind of like our condiment ketchup, harissa is a staple there. And, it can be in the dry or paste form. I make my own harissa. It’s so stinkin’ easy that you can make almost a cup of it in no time at all. The recipe is simple, and it’s in my cookbook, Ally’s Kitchen~A Passport for Adventurous Palates. If you’re not inclined to do that, then you can find the spice mixture at some grocers, but definitely on the ubiquitous Amazon where you can have just about anything shipped to your home.
You may be asking, what else can I do with Harissa. Well, my response is ‘what can you not do with it!’ Soups, stews, vegetables, dips, dipping oil spice mixture, so many ways to use this mixture!
What I love about this recipe, too, is that you go simply from the roasting pan to the table. I used a copper paella pan, which I LOVE LOVE. And, it’s got versatility beyond paella. So, that something else you might want to put on your wish list!
- Preheat oven to 400
- 3 to 3 ½ lbs. chicken, bone in/skin on thigs and boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ¼ cup harissa dry seasoning mixture
- 2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 2 tsp. white pepper, divided
- 8 cups vegetables, baby potatoes, sweet potatoes, zucchini, peppers, heirloom baby carrots, sweet onions, squash (all your choice!), cut into bite size chunks
- ¾ cup green olives + pimento, drained
- 1 large lemon, thin round slices
- 2 ½ cups water
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken. Put in a large mixing bowl. Add the one-fourth cup olive oil, harissa, one teaspoon of salt and one teaspoon of pepper. Toss and blend into the chicken.
- Put the chicken in a large pan about 3 inches deep. Push it to the side leaving room for the veggies. In another bowl, toss the vegetables in the remaining olive oil, salt and pepper. Put in the pan. Add the water.
- Put the olives and lemons on top. Cover the pan tightly and securely with doubled foil. Place a lid on top. Roast in a 400 degree oven for about 1 ½ to 2 hours. Remove foil and turn to broil for about 3-5 minutes to make the chicken golden brown.
- Remove, add the thyme prigs on top, replace the foil and let the dish rest about 15 minutes.