Coming up with new names for things is one of the challenges of being a food blogger. I mean you want to correctly express an idea of what the dish is, but, on the other hand, you want it to stick, maybe be slightly clever and catchy. That’s why I came up with this name double date spicy chicken wings. As I was working on them, skewering them, two per skewer, I thought, ‘Awwhhhh, this looks like these weetle wings are double dating!’ I know call me silly and ridiculous, but this is the fun of cooking!
Back to the chicken wings. What makes these double date spicy chicken wings extra yummy. They’re crazy easy. I mean one bowl. Spices. Toss blend massage. And, you’re about done. The hardest part is putting them on the skewer. If you don’t want to do that, then no problem, but you have to admit, they look darn cute! Then they’re easier to pick up and serve.
The oven roasting of these wings brings on a hint of crispy in the skin since the temperature is up there. 425 degrees. You could do these on your outdoor grill. Just check that the internal temperature is at 165 to ensure doneness.
As you can see, I love serving these wings basically ‘naked’. Don’t overshadow the spices and flavors with sauces. What rounds out the flavors for me is the assortment of nibbles to go with the wings. You decide what your palate loves, and have at it. Try to make your big party tray colorful and creative!
- Preheat Oven to 425
- 6 chicken wings, organic
- 3 Tbl. oil
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. lemon pepper
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. garlic granules
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- ½ tsp. red chili flakes
- SIDE OPTIONS:
- Olives, green and black
- Pickled Vegetables
- Kosher Dill Pickles
- Corn and/or Black Bean Chow Chow
- Wash and pat dry the wings. Put in large mixing bowl. Drizzle on the oil and massage into the meat.
- Add the salt, lemon pepper, paprika garlic, cumin and chili flakes. Toss and blend.
- Thread two wings on individual 8-10” wooden skewers (presoak in water).
- Put on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 425 oven for 27-29 minutes.
- Remove and serve with an array of side options.