If you want to feel like it’s summertime year-round, especially with fruit, then look not further than the frozen fruits and Dole’s fabulous selection. Always perfect, sweet and versatile, they open up new frontiers for cooking particularly in those long dark winter months.
These pancakes have dollops of whole cherries in them. Once you add the batter to the griddle, then just put the number of cherries you want on the batter and, presto, they ooze and cook like a dessert cake! You can never make too many because they’re just a yummy eating cold. Grab one and run. With each bite you can have a burst of summer!
This post brought to you by Dole Sunshine: click here for more info!
Sweet Dark Cherry Buttermilk Pancakes
- ¾ cup self-rising flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 Tbl. canola oil
- 1 cup Dole Sunshine frozen dark cherries
- Cooking Spray
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar and mix together. In another small bowl, combine the eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and canola oil and blend.
- Pour the wet mixture in with the dry and blend well. Heat a non-stick (or very well seasoned cast iron skillet)skillet (about 10” diameter) over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- (Note: Make one pancake at a time unless working on a larger griddle.) Scoop about ¼ to 1/3 cup of batter into the middle of the hot skillet. Place 4-5 cherries in the centermost part of the batter. Cook about 2 minutes or until little bubbles begin to form. Give this side of the pancake a quick coat of cooking spray. Gently slide a metal spatula and flip cooking another about 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Remove the pancake to a plate and repeat. Serve with a drizzle of honey. These pancakes are great cold!
Make on the weekends, cool and freeze then pop out whenever you want a pancake! Just warm and go!
Make the night before, refrigerate then warm for breakfast the next morning!
©ally’s kitchen intellectual property