This pork bbq is cooked slow. In the oven. Or a slow cooker if you want. Just a peek every now and then to check for liquid. After several hours, you’ll discover pureT love! You’ll taste just subtle hints of sweetness, a wisp of tang and then a linger of gentle heat and spice~all coming together with fork-tender, pull apart pork.
Why make preparing pork bbq hard when it can be easy with just a few ingredients? And, this recipe is one that you’ll be sure to put on your frequent recipe list! Enjoy and serve in many different ways! xoxo ~ally
- Preheat oven to 425 then 375 (Can be done in a slow cooker.)
- Cooking spray
- 3 to 3 ½ lb. pork butt roast
- 12 oz. Dole Sunshine pineapple juice
- 2 cups spicy tomato juice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- 1 tsp. dried red chili flakes (optional to reduce depending upon your palate)
- In a large heavy pot, coat the pot. Add the pork, pineapple juice, tomato juice, water, salt, pepper and red chili flakes.
- Cover with doubled foil and a lid. Roast in a preheated 425 oven for 2 hours. Check once or twice to see if you need to add any water. Reduce heat to 375.
- Check to see if more water is needed (pork should be at least half way covered with liquid). Continue cooking another 2 ½ to 3 hours.
- You’ll know it’s done when the pork is able to be shredded with a fork.
- Note: If you have lots of broth remaining once the pork’s done, let the shredded meat hang out in it because it will thicken some and absorb into the meat.
- Also, if you want to thicken the broth, combine one tablespoon corn starch with one tablespoon of water and blend into the broth.