Simple Pasta with Mushrooms
Count the ingredients. Just a few. Mushrooms. Pasta. Shallots. Garlic. Fresh herbs. Grated cheese. Do we count butter and EVOO? Now you have simple pasta with mushrooms!
Pasta with Mushrooms
Italians call it pasta con funghi. And, there are sooooooooooooo many ways to have pasta with mushrooms. From creamy mushroom pastas to mushrooms and ragu and other meats. Then talk about the pasta types. Endless!
Mushroom Pasta Recipe
What I love about my recipe is that it’s simple. Straight forward. Easy. And, you can have it ready in about 30 minutes flat.
That’s important to me to have something quick and easy especially on those nights that I’m slab dab worn out but want to eat healthy.
Garlic Mushroom Pasta
Of course the key to this recipe is the quality of the mushrooms you select.
Using a combination of mushrooms makes for a more robust and hearty dish. Look for a chef’s blend of mushrooms sometimes found in produce sections of grocery stores. You can also check out your local Asian market for different mushrooms like enoki.
Oyster Mushroom Pasta
While I love maitake, or hen of the wood, mushrooms, and, of course, shitake, I also absolutely adore oyster mushrooms!
They have a delicate odor and flavor. And, they’re whitish in color. You’ll find them used in a many dishes in Japan and China.
Simple Mushroom Pasta
Making this recipe is pretty basic and simple.
You don’t want to overcook your mushrooms. They’ll get chewy and rubbery. And, with the larger mushrooms, like the hen of the wood, enoki and others that you might use, separate them into more manageable bite size pieces. I don’t use a knife to do this. Only my hands and I gently tear apart smaller pieces, but not too small.
Spinach Mushroom Pasta
King trumpet mushrooms are also fabulous. They have a thick meaty stem with the button top. If the mushroom is too large, try slicing it lengthwise down the middle into two symmetrical long pieces.
And, if you want to add more interest to this recipe, then throw in some baby spinach or baby bokchoy leaves and thinly sliced stems. All they need to do is steam shortly in the mixture right before serving!
Simple Pasta with Mushrooms
- 24 oz. mushrooms, different types, wiped clean with paper towels
- 2 Tbl. butter
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil + more for serving
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup shallots, small dice
- 8-10 ounces pasta, cooked very al dente, reserve at least 1 1/2 cups of the pasta water
- 1/2 cup fresh herb mixture, finely minced
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan Reggiano, divided, plus more for serving
- Prepare the pasta. Set aside. Reserve the pasta water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, let it get hot. Add the butter and olive oil. Blend together. Add the garlic and shallots and saute a couple of minutes stirring most of the time.
- Add the mushrooms, blend, cover and steam cook about 5 minutes. Add the fresh herbs, half of the grated cheese and blend.
- Add the pasta to the mushrooms. Toss and blend. Add about half of the pasta water. Turn heat to medium low and let the pasta cook with the mushrooms another about 7-10 minutes. Blend a couple of times.
- Add more of the pasta water if needed. Prior to serving, toss in the remaining grated cheese and blend.