Easy Charred Avocado
If you’re looking to totally move the needle on the deliciousness of avocados, then you must try charred avocados! Cool sour cream’s a must!
Can you Grill Avocado
Yes sireeee bobby, you can grill or sear an avocado! Now I’m doing it in a cast iron skillet. I’ve not tried it on an outdoor grill, but I’m thinking, no problem.
And, if you want to make this charred avocado into a mash for sourdough toast, well, check out this recipe! It’s the spices in the mash as well as the charring of the avocado that just makes it pop!
Grilling or pan searing the avocado brings out so much more flavor and creaminess, I think.
That hint of char combined with the avocado gives it a kind of garlicky salty taste, which I love.
How would I describe the taste?
Slightly nutty. Then you have a real buttery taste that’s accentuated from the cooking. And, talk about creamy. Finally, undertones of rustic earthiness.
And, I must say, perfect with a fried sunnyside egg!
How to Char Avocado
It’s important to get your skillet very hot and the oil very hot. You don’t want to keep the avocado in the heat extra time. What you want is the screaming hot skillet to literally ‘char’ the creamy avocado. Then when you add a spritz of lime juice, salt, pepper and a dollop of chilled creamy sour cream, wow, is all I can say!
What to Make with Avocado
There are all kinds of options and ways to serve your charred avocados. And, you can do it virtually for any meal, breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, brunch. Whatever.
I love serving with eggs, either sunnyside or soft boiled eggs and a thick crusty piece of toasted sourdough bread.
Charred Avocado and Eggs
Talk about a luxurious breakfast that’s off the charts? Yes, charred avocado and eggs!
It’s so simple and easy. Quick and healthy. And, it fits all the requirements for low glycemic and low carb.
You must try it. Don’t be hesitant. You can’t mess up!
Easy Charred Avocado
- 1 ripe avocado, cut in half, seed removed
- 2 Tbl. oil, sesame oil, avocado oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tbl. sour cream or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 lime, juice
- Put a small skillet on a medium high blaze. Let it get real hot. Add the oil and let it get hot.
- Place the avocado halves flat side down. Pan sear/char about two minutes or to desired golden browning.
- Flip the avocados. Turn off heat. Let them sit in the pan about 3 minutes.
- Remove. Add salt and pepper to taste. Dollop the centers with sour cream and a spritz of lime juice.
- Savor the deliciousness of the warm creamy avocados!