Today’s most important thing in cooking seems to be ease of preparation, convenience of products/ingredients and simplicity in executing the recipe. Yet, wrapped within those parameters, the food must be amazingly tasty and fabulous! Those are pretty tough guidelines, but it can be done with some creativity! And, this crunchy pineapple blueberry slaw handles all these requirements hands down!
Oh, yes, another thing that’s really important in today’s world is saving the earth and her resources as in recycling. Now, I’ve been doing this and was taught to do it from the time I was a little girl. Growing up in the hills of Appalachia in Southern West Virginia, we didn’t waste anything. Most everything our hands touched had a second and third use down to wrapping and bows from the holidays, empty jars and plastic tubs and even water. So, when I look at what I cook with today, products I purchase, I’m also considering how can I ‘re’use if I need to something about it.
That’s super simple with Dole Sunshine products because they’re packed in BPA-free packaging and are totally recyclable after using. In the case of these pineapple chunks, you’ll see how I re-used the plastic container with the really great screw on lid for another occasion.
Now this slaw is one that is full of color and high on super ingredients like the purple cabbage and blueberries. What makes me most happy is the crunch and squirts. Yeah, the squirts of blueberries and pineapple tidbits when chewing. I know, sounds crazy, but that’s the way my palate works! xoxo ~ally
- 2 ½ to 3 cups purple cabbage, sliced thinly
- 2 large green onions, with green tops slightly trimmed, sliced thinly/with green tops
- ½ cup Dole Sunshine Pineapple Tidbits, drained, packed, reserve ¼ cup juice, divided
- ½ cup Dole Sunshine Blueberries, previously frozen, almost complete thawed
- 3 Tbl. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning, dried
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. coarse ground pepper
- Combine in a large mixing bowl, the cabbage, green onions, pineapple tidbits, and blueberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the reserved pineapple juice, olive oil, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Pour the ‘vinaigrette’ mixture on the slaw.
- Toss and blend well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This salad is easily portable for picnics, outdoor concerts and BBQs. Just use empty clean Dole Sunshine plastic jars.
Be sure to recycle and reuse your Dole Packaged Food plastic cups and jars. They're great for lots of things!