Inspiration for new recipes or at least takes on old recipes come at the most unusual times for me. And, one of those times is when I’m in a yoga class. Yeah, yeah, I know my mind should be clear. I should be in the moment. I should be present. But, sometimes I’m having visions of new recipes dance in my head! And that’s how this healthy banana bread recipe came about
I was thinking about smoothies and everything that makes them so delicious and healthy. Then I thought, why can’t I infuse these high-powered health ingredients into other things we love, like banana bread. Well, in actuality this is a banana bread ‘cake’. And, if you choose to make the recipe as a true bread shape, then you’ll need to adjust the cooking time somewhat because of the density of the bread versus the cake.
You know, there’s no reason why we can’t add a few extra healthy ingredients to cakes, pies and cookies and, at least, making them a tad bit ‘healthier’ or better for us. There are ways to skirt all the sugar with substituting something like bananas or applesauce. And, we can power up with ingredients like protein powder, wheat germ, chia seeds, ground flax and nuts. So, give this healthy banana bread (cake) a try. You probably won’t even realize you’re eating all these great things.
Here’s another banana recipe that you’ll want to check out! xoxo ~ally
This banana bread cake keeps well for a few days covered.
This banana bread cake freezes well.
If you make this recipe in a bread pan, then add a little more cooking time, probably 15 minutes. Please do the toothpick test to check for doneness.
- Preheat oven to 375
- 1 (14 oz.) oat bran muffin mix
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- ¼ cup organic protein powder
- 2 small bananas, smashed
- 1 ¾ cups almond milk
- 1 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- Combine in a large mixing bowl, the muffin mix, chia seeds, flax, protein powder. Blend together.
- Add the bananas and almond milk and blend into a thick smooth batter. Fold in the walnuts.
- Pour into a well-greased baking dish. Bake in a preheated 375 oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack. Cool completely before slicing. Well, if you can wait that long! ?