If you’re Southern you know Fried Green Tomatoes. You grew up on FGTs. You proably like or even love FGTs! If you’re not Southern, I am so very very sorry. Good news! You can become an honorary Southerner by going through a series of eating assignments, so think about it…could be fun. And, just think you’ll learn another language!
Maybe you think FGTs means the 1991 movie…remember the great performances by Kathy Bates, JessicaTandy, Mary Stuart Masterson, Mary Louise Parker…the Whistle Stop Cafe? I love to serve FGTs with moist crispy cornbread slatered with butter, and that’s the meal for me! Now a great evening would be to rent the movie, make FGTs, snuggle on the sofa, eat at the coffee table, and pretend you’re at the Whistle Stop Cafe!
- ½ to ¾ cup coconut or canola oil
- 4 medium to large firm green tomatoes/slice each into 3-4 pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ¾ cup flour
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¾ tsp coarse ground pepper
- ½ tsp red chili flakes
- SOUR CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions and tops
- 1 tbl lime zest
- 2 tbl lime juice
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp coarse ground pepper
- The cooking of FGTs means getting everything ready then heating up the oil.
- In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, pour ½ cup of oil. As it heats up begin the tomato coating. Make a work station using 3 pie plates for the buttermilk, flour and cornmeal which will have salt/pepper/pepper flakes in it.
- Dip a slice of tomato in the buttermilk coating both sides, then in the flour, coating both sides, return to the buttermilk and recoat, then coat in the cornmeal.
- Place prepared tomato slice on a plate and continue with each tomato this way.
- Place a few tomatoes in the hot oil. When the tomato goes in, it should slightly sizzle, but not burn. Do not crowd the tomatoes.
- Cook on each side about 2 minutes or until golden crispy brown. Remove and drain on a paper towel. Continue until all tomatoes are fried.
- Serve topped with chiffonade green onions/tops and sour cream mixed with some lime juice, zest and sea salt/pepper. Crumbled bacon is also good on FGTs. Serve immediately while hot and crispy.
©ally’s kitchen intellectual property