It’s hard to write all that makes me happy about this recipe! I saw it posted at my foodie friends’ Facebook pages, Tiffany of ‘My Crowded Kitchen’ and Tara, from ‘Della Rose Living‘. I was immediately and inexplicably taken. Come to find out, me and 776,000 other folks who’ve clicked this recipe created by Rock Recipes! Of course I’ve tweaked this recipe some because of my boho nature!
Since I had four beautiful chicken filet breasts in my refrigerator, I was motivated! While I didn’t have all the ingredients that Rock used, I decided rather than run to the grocery store I’d ‘boho’ it with my tweaks and hope for the best! If this chicken is aaannnnnnnnnnnnneeeeee better with the precise ingredients that are outlined in the recipe, then my tastebuds are in for big big trouble! ‘Double Crunch Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts’ are spicy, crunchy, and will bring you to your knees with pleasure!
crunchy honey garlic chicken
- 1 ½ to 2 cups of canola oil
- 2 Tbl. olive oil
- 4 Tbl. minced fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1/4 cup pepper jelly
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 4 large flattened chicken filet breasts (about 1” thick)
- FLOUR DREDGE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tsp. sea salt
- 4 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbl. ground ginger
- 2 Tbl. ground nutmeg
- 4 tsp. Greek herb blend
- 2 Tbl. paprika
- 1 tsp. cayenne
- Egg Wash:
- 3 beaten eggs
- ¼ cup water
- In a medium size saucepan over medium heat, put olive oil and garlic and sauté just til tender—do no burn. Reduce heat to medium low and add honey, agave, pepper jelly, soy sauce, and pepper. (Note: Rock Recipe called for 1 cup honey only. I only had about 1/3 cup.) Bring to a low simmering boil (watch closely as it can overflow!) for about 10-12+ minutes. Mixture will begin to thicken. Turn off heat and let sit.
- Prepare flour dredge by putting all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl. If you have any leftover, put in a ziplock bag and save. (Note: Rock Recipe called for 2 tsp ground thyme and 2 tsp ground sage—I didn’t have, so I substituted 4 tsp of Greek herb blend.)
- Combine eggs and water and beat. Put mixture in a pie plate.
- Put about 1 cup of the flour mixture in a pie plate. Salt and pepper the chicken breasts.
- Dip breast in the egg mixture, then coat with the flour, return to the egg mixture, and then re-coat in the flour mixture. (I did mine the opposite of Rock Recipe…why? Because I didn’t follow the instructions!) Put to side and repeat with the other chicken breasts.
- In a large heavy skillet over medium heat, get the oil (about ½ inch deep) hot. Place the filet breasts in, do not crowd, and fry about 4-5 minutes, flip to the other side and cook another 4-5 minutes. (Cooking time will depend upon the thickness of your breast filets.) (Note: I've also fried the chicken about 2-3 minutes per side getting a great crunch, then placing on a parchment-paper lined cookie sheet and baking about 20-25 minutes at preheated 350 oven (the amount of time depends upon the thickness of your breast filets).
- When done, remove to a rack with a piece of parchment paper under it—let the chicken rest 2-3 minutes. Then dip each breast in the sauce flipping 2 or 3 times in the sauce. Serve immediately with extra sauce!
©ally’s kitchen intellectual property