Some things in cooking that are so simple are so wonderfully epic. Such is the case with these french almond cinnamon pastry puffs. Thanks to the magic of puff pastry, which I love almost as much as I love parchment paper, I can look like I’m a French pastry chef in not time at all.
Now these little sweet lovelies need to be served warm. The sugar oozes out of the rolled pastry as they bake making the most divine sheet thin candy crunch puddles. They hang on to the pastry sometimes. And, other times, they break off when you pick up a piece. You’ll get stabbed with a fork if you try to snatch someone else’s crispy puddles! Just know that it’s a territorial thing. Assess your puff and the boundaries around it. Those would be your puddle crispies.
This quick and simple dish can be served at any time. Breakfast. Brunch. Lunch. Dinner. Snacktime. Late night munchies. Early morning hungries. The tender flaky pastry with the buttery insides and cinnamon sugar will remind you of bygone days when Grandma used to make cinnamon rolls. Probably slaved all day in the kitchen making it. And, here you make it in no time at all. Hail the wonders of puff pastry and the abundance of joy it can bring to your life and your palate! xoxo ~ally
- Preheat oven to 400
- 3 sheets puff pastry, pinched together and rolled making a slightly larger size
- 5 Tbl, butter, salted and melted
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar + 2 tsp.
- 1 egg, separated
- Combine in a small bowl the melted butter and almond extract. Blend together. Use a pastry brush and coat the rolled out puff pastry with butter.
- Combine the cinnamon, one-third cup of sugar and blend. Sprinkle on the buttered pastry.
- Starting at the long horizontal bottom, roll and fold over the dough into a long snake. It will be mostly a flat like snake.
- Take a pastry brush and coat with the egg white. Sprinkle the top with the remaining sugar. With a sharp knife, cut into about 2” pieces.
- Put on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 oven for about 18-20 minutes.
- Remove. Cool a few minutes. Serve. Eat.