By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the Wild Blueberry Association of North America and I am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time. #sponsored #ad
During the 1992 Olympics in Barcelona, Spain, the USA men’s basketball team was nicknamed ‘The Dream Team’ because all of the best of the best of the professional players came together as one and became something entirely even stronger and more powerful. And, it was a slam dunk with them bringing home the gold for the USA.
That’s what ‘the wild blueberry dream team smoothie’ is, a powerhouse drink because of the wild blueberries. Now there is a difference between ‘wild’ blueberries and ‘cultivated’ blueberries. One of the most noticeable to the naked eye is the size. Wild blueberries are just that, they grow in the wild, so they’re super nutritious. One thing that I love is that they’re rich in antioxidants like anthocyanins, which is a flavonoids found in the blue pigments of wild blueberries. These anthocyanins have the ability to neutralize free radicals and help prevent cell damage, which seems to accelerate as we age. When you choose wild blueberries, you’ll also notice more intensity in flavor. About twice that of cultivated blueberries. Plus, twice the antioxidant strength of the cultivated variety. More research is being done, and it’s now showing that wild blueberries protect against other diseases. Yes, those deadly ones that can wreak havoc on families and their lives~cancer, Alzheimer’s, diabetes and heart disease.
On this ‘dream team smoothie’ is a group of other powerful ingredients, but the wild blueberries are designated as the ‘captain’ of the group. With ‘teammates’ like watercress, almonds, and chia seeds, this smoothie, so easy and quick to make, is sure to power your day! Hints of nuttiness and cardamom round out the refreshing velvety smoothness of the wild blueberries and yogurt. And, you just know you’re doing good for your body with this chilling fuel that fires up the mind, spirit and soul! This recipe is the way to #wildyoursmoothie!
- 1 cup watercress, stems and leaves
- 1 (6 oz.) Greek blueberry yogurt
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries
- 1/3 cup almonds, sliced
- ¼ cup toasted (or regular) coconut, unsweetened
- ¼ cup pomegranate juice
- 2 Tbl. chia seeds
- 2 Tbl. honey
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom
- 10-12 ice cubes
- Chill the containers you’ll be serving the smoothie in by putting in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes before using.
- Put the watercress, yogurt, frozen wild blueberries into a blender (or small food processor) and pulse about 20-30 seconds. Add the almonds, coconut, pomegranate juice, chia seeds, honey and cardamom.
- Pulse another about 45-60 seconds or until a very smooth thick consistency.
- Put 5-6 ice cubes into each chilled container. Pour equal amounts of the smoothie into each.
- Serve with a spoon and straw!