There’s a popular eating movement called ‘farm to table’…love this concept, and I add to that my concept of ‘eating close to the earth,’ which means when you look at ingredients you’re using, ask yourself, ‘Does this look like it just came from the earth?’ If so, then you’re probably eating ‘farm to table’ or ‘close to the earth’. And, you can see from my photos that I love keeping foods looking natural! To me, it’s nature’s artistry.
Soups are cold weather go to meals. When Ol’ man winter’s not finished with his work, then the only thing to do is the hunker down and make a big hearty pot of soup! This soup is full of all my favorites~~from meats to vegetables to spices and herbs.
Now, feel free to substitute the meat. If you like ground beef, chicken or turkey, maybe you want venison, bison or wild boar. That’s what I call ‘boho’ing’ a recipe, making it your own depending upon your preferences. The same with the veggies, throw in what you have in your crisper, maybe bags of frozen veggies and you might want to add some egg noodles or rice. This hearty rich soup will be the base for your own design on the soup!
- 3 Tbl. Coconut oil
- 4 garlic pieces, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup shallots, diced
- 12 oz. ground veal
- 12 oz. ground lamb
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp. Greek seasoning
- 2 tsp. lemon pepper
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked hot paprika
- ½ tsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. fennel seeds
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cans (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 1 tub beef stock (Knorrs) or 2 beef cubes (crushed)
- 2 cups water
- Veggies (your choice)—I used:
- 3 cups potatoes, peel on and cubed
- 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
- 4 whole carrots, cut in pieces
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 1 can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (optional)
- In a large heavy cast iron pot over medium heat, add the coconut oil, garlic and shallots and sautee about 3-5 minutes, stirring so they don’t burn. Add the veal and lamb and brown. Reduce heat to medium low.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, Greek seasoning, lemon pepper, cumin, hot paprika, paprika, fennel seeds and blend. Sprinkle on the ground meat and cook about 5 minutes. Add the bay leaves, tomatoes, beef seasoning and water. Cover and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes.
- Add the potatoes and carrots, which take longer to cook than other veggies. Cover and cook 20 minutes.
- Add the remaining veggies and garbanzo beans (optional), turn heat to medium low and cook until all are done. Let soup simmer on very low until ready to server.