This recipe is from www.cooks.com I basically followed the recipe…weeellllll, with some Ally tweaks…I mean isn’t that what “Bohemian Bold” cooking is all about—being unique, cooking outside the lines, defining yourself with your special twists!
To the original recipe, I added more lemon zest, then I also added ricotta cheese to it. I reduced by ¼ cup the sugar, since I was using sweetened coconut. The original recipe said that ground nuts and coconut (no amounts given) were ‘optional,’ so I did BOTH of them! Cuz I love nuts and coconut!
This cake is not as moist and dense as pound cake, but it reminds me of pound cake. You can add your own toppings to it, which are endless. I used fresh raspberries cooked in some amaretta and butter. Next time, I’d top the berries with chiffonade fresh basil!
- Preheat oven to 350
- What you need:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup ricotta
- 3 tbl grated lemon rind
- ¾ tsp vanilla
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup ground/chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
- 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar using a hand mixer. With the next ingredients, add each and blend on low with the hand mixer~~milk, ricotta, lemon rind/vanilla, and eggs.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder. Add into the wet mixture and blend well.Fold in the nuts and coconut into the batter.
- Coat your baking pan with cooking spray. Pour in batter. Cover the top loosely w/a piece of foil and bake in a preheated 350 oven for about 40-45 minutes IF using a springform pan.
- Remove foil and bake another about 10 minutes (to golden brown the top) or until a toothpick comes clean from the center. (NOTE: Baking time will vary with the type of baking pan~~the two small bundt cake pans required only about 30 minutes of baking.)
- Let rest for 20+ minutes. Do not frost. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (optional). Or use some fresh berries!